Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 6 to 8 bread slices
- 1 ½ tsp oil or as needed
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 onion chopped finely
- ¾ tsp grated ginger or ginger garlic paste
- 1 small ripe tomato mashed well (optional)
- ¼ cup finely chopped capsicum or green peas (optional)
- Pinch of turmeric
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder (adjust to suit your taste)
- ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ cup crumbled paneer
- ¼ tsp kasuri methi
- Generous pinch of amchur
- Coriander leaves few finely chopped
- Grated carrots or beetroot or onion as desired
- Apply ghee or butter on one side of the bread slice.
- Heat a pan and fry the bread slices till golden. Set aside.
- To the same pan, add oil, cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add onions and fry until transparent.
- Add grated ginger or ginger garlic paste, fry until the raw smell goes off.
- Add mashed tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Fry for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add capsicum or peas, red chili powder, garam masala, kasuri methi, amchur powder. Mix and fry until the raw smell goes away from the mixture.
- Lower the flame. Add crumbled paneer, stir and fry till everything blends well. Do not overcook , paneer turns rubbery and hard. It must be moist and soft as well.
- Add coriander leaves. Set the paneer bhurji aside to a plate.
- Place back the bread slices on tawa and spread paneer bhurji, layer grated carrots or beets and onions. Cover with another slice and press with a flat wooden spoon.
- Cut diagonally to 2 pieces. Serve hot or cold.