- 1 cup sabudana or tapioca pearls (Chowwari)
- 2 small to medium size potatoes
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- 8-10 curry leaves(optional)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin/jeera
- ¼ cup grated fresh coconut (optional)
- ½ to 1 tsp sugar or as required
- ½ to 1 tsp lemon juice or as required (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil
- rock salt as required
how to make the recipe:
- soak sabudana(Chowwari) overnight or for 3-5 hours.
- next day drain the sabudana very well and keep aside in a bowl.
- boil the potatoes and when warm peel and chop them.
- in a pan dry roast the peanuts till browned and when cooled make a coarse powder in a mortar-pestle or in a dry grinder.
- mix the coarsely powdered peanuts, salt and sugar with the drained sabudana.
- now heat oil. fry the cumin first till they crackle and get browned.
- now add the curry leaves and green chilies. fry for half a minute and then add the grated ginger.
- stir till the raw smell of the ginger goes away. now add potato and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- add the sabudana. keep on stirring the mixture.
- when the sabudana looses their opaqueness and starts becoming translucent they are cooked.
- don’t over cook as they might become lumpy and hard.
- lastly add grated coconut. mix well. close the fire.
- while serving garnish sabudana khichdi with coriander leaves and drizzle with some lemon juice.
- serve sabudana khichdi hot.