main ingredients for curd rice:
- ½ cup regular rice, 100 grams
- 1.5 cups water for pressure cooking
- 1 cup fresh curd, 250 grams
- ¼ cup milk, 62.5 ml
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon chopped curry leaves, 4 to 5 curry leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1 to 2 tablespoons pomegranate arils or some grapes for garnish, optional
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon asafoetida/hing
how to make the recipe:
- rinse 1 cup rice a couple of times in water. then add the rice in a pressure cooker.
- add water. stir very well.
- pressure cook rice for 5 to 6 whistles or 10 to 11 minutes till the rice is cooked very well.
- when the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid and check the doneness of rice. the rice has to be more softer than what we cook on a daily basis.
- with a masher, mash the rice. close the cooker and allow the rice to cool down.
- when the rice gets cooled down, add fresh curd.
- mix very well and break lumps if any. you can either use the spoon or masher or your hands while breaking the lumps.
- now add milk. mix again very well.
- add finely chopped ginger and finely chopped curry leaves. instead of adding ginger and curry leaves to the rice, you can also fry them in the tempering.
- next add chopped green chilies and chopped coriander leaves.
- add salt. mix very well. keep aside.
- heat a small pan or tadka pan and add sesame oil in it.
- when the oil becomes hot, add mustard seeds.
- let the mustard seeds crackle. now add asafoetida.
- remove from flame and pour the tempering to the curd rice. again mix very well.
- serve curd rice topped with a few coriander leaves or pomegranate arils or grapes. you can skip the fruits too and just serve curd rice plain.