- ½ cup sabudana or tapioca pearls (Chowwari) – for a denser kheer, you can add ⅔ to ¾ cup sabudana
- 2 cups organic milk
- 2 cups water
- 4 to 5 tbsp organic unrefined cane sugar or as required
- 4-5 green cardamoms,husked and crushed in a mortar-pestle to a semi fine powder
- 2 tbsp chopped cashews
- ½ tbsp raisins
- 3-4 saffron strands/kesar (optional)
how to make the recipe:
- rinse the sabudana pearls till the water runs clear of the starch.
- take a thick bottomed pan or sauce pan in which you will be making the kheer.
- add the rinsed sabudana pearls and water in the pan.
- cover and let the pearls get soaked in the water for 15-20 minutes.
- later keep this pan on the stove top and begin to cook the pearls.
- meanwhile heat or warm the milk too. no need to boil the milk.
- after 4-5 minutes, add the milk to the pan and continue to cook.
- add sugar and cardamom powder and simmer till the pearls have cooked well for about 20-25 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- keep on stirring occasionally.
- switch off the fire and add cashews and raisins.
- garnish the sabudana kheer with saffron strands.
- serve sabudana kheer hot or warm or cold.