- 1.5 cups chana or 3 cups soaked chana/ chickpeas
- 1.5 cups water
- Pinch of soda
- 2 tbsp oil or as needed
- 1 heaped cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 green chili
- 1 ¼ tsp garam masala (4 tspn Channa masala)
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ⅛ tsp turmeric/ haldi
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Few Coriander leaves
How to make the recipe
- Wash chickpeas thoroughly and soak for 6 to 8 hours. Add them to a pot or pressure cooker along with 1.5 cups water,salt and a pinch of soda. Cook until soft for 1 to 2 whistles.
- Meanwhile, saute onions until golden in 1.5 tsp oil.
- Saute ginger garlic paste as well to remove the raw smell.
- Saute chopped tomatoes and sprinkle salt. Make sure tomatoes turn soft and the raw smell has gone.
- Saute again along with chili powder and turmeric till the raw smell goes away. Blend once cooled to a smooth paste.
- saute cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and cardamom (chana masala)in oil. Add chopped onions and fry until golden.
- Add the blended paste. Stir well. Add masala powder and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked chickpeas and then the stock as needed. You may need to use up all.
- When it comes to a boil, simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes or until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Add kasuri methi. Stir and switch off. Add chopped coriander leaves. Cover and set aside until served. chole masala(chana) is ready.
WE CAN SERVE IT WITH BHATURA & CHAPPATHI
Other Tasty Dishes Recipes…………