vermicelli is cooked in milk and flavored with green cardamom powder or saffron and sugar or jaggery is added for the sweetness. This dish can be prepared with any kind of vermicelli that is available in the market. You can even choose roasted vermecelli that is readily available in the stores.
Semiya payasam recipe, one of the popular andhra style payasam recipes.
- ¾ cup of semiya or vermicelli
- ½ cup of sugar (adjust to suit your taste)
- ⅛ tsp. green cardamom powder (elaichi) or few strands of saffron
- 500 ml milk
- 200 ml water (you could substitute this with milk, if you desire a thick payasam)
- 2 tsp. ghee
- cashew nuts and raisins as needed
- Add ghee to a heavy bottom pot and heat up. Add cashews and fry till golden, add raisins and saute. Keep these aside to use for garnish.
- Add semeya to the same pan and roast till slightly golden on a low flame. If using very thin vermicelli set this aside in a bowl.
- Add milk and water to the pot. Let the milk boil on a low to medium flame. If the vermecelli was set aside add it now. Boil till the vermicelli is fully cooked. Keep stirring to prevent the payasam from burning.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder. Cook for 3 to 5 mins on a low flame for the semiya payasam to thicken.
- Garnish with fried nuts and raisins