- Cherupayar Parippu – 200gm
- Jaggery -400gm
- Thick coconut milk – 1½ cups
- Medium thick coconut milk – 4 cups
- Light coconut milk – 4 cups
- Ghee – 3 tablespoon
- Cashewnut & Coconut pieces – 50 gm each
- Fry the parippu without oil for 5-6 minutes. Wash it well & cook with boiled water. Melt the jaggery by adding 1 cup water and filter it. Add the melted jaggery to well cooked parippu & stir well. Add 2 tablespoon ghee to this & mix well. Add light coconut milk & when it starts boiling add medium thick coconut milk. When this mix evaporates and becomes half add the thick coconut milk. Stir well for 5 minutes & remove from gas.
- Fry the cashewnuts & coconut pieces in rest of the ghee & add to payasam. Serve hot.
The payasam keeps well in the fridge for 2-3 days. Microwave for 1 min, before serving. I used Maggie coconut milk powder to make this payasam. For thick coconut milk use 3-4 tbsp milk powder in 1 cup lukewarm water, for medium thick, use 2-3 tbsp milk powder in 1 cup lukewarm water, for thin, use 1-2 tbsp milk powder.