- Ada – ½ cup
- Full fat milk – 2 cups
- Water – 1¼ cup
- Condensed milk – ½ tin / 200 gms
- Sugar – 2 tbsp, optional (refer notes)
- Chopped cashew – 1 tbsp
- Crushed cardamom – 1
- Ghee – ½ tbsp
- Combine milk, water and condensed milk in a pressure cooker. Add washed ada and stir well. Bring it to a boil. Once it boils, close the cooker and put on weight. After first whistle on full flame, reduce flame to low-medium and cook for 5-6 whistles. Switch off the gas.
- Keep it closed till pressure drops, 15-20 mins. Check the consistency of the payasam and also whether ada is cooked. Keep in mind that payasam tends to thicken as it rests. If the ada is not cooked well or if you want a more thicker consistency, keep cooking on low flame (without the lid) and stir in between.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry the chopped cashews till golden brown, add this to the payasam. Also add crushed cardamom. Serve hot, warm or chilled.
It keeps well in the fridge for 3 days.
If you want to substitute condensed milk with sugar, I guess you need ½ – ¾ cup of sugar.