This parippu (dal) curry is a typical Kerala dish. It’s one of the main dishes of Onasadhya as well. We call it “parippu chaaru” at home. If there is parippu chaaru, ghee and pappad, it’s almost like a mini sadya for me.
- Cheruparippu (moong dal) or thuvaraparippu – 100 gm (approximately 1 cup)
- Grated coconut – ⅓ – ½ cup
- Jeera – ½ tsp
- Green chilli – 2-3
- Turmeric powder – ¼ ts
- Ghee/coconut oil – 2-3 tsp
- Water – ½ ltr
- Small onion – 3-4
- Mustard seeds – a pinch
- Red chilli – 2
- Curry leaves
- Grind together coconut, jeera, green chilli and turmeric powder with 1 tbsp water to a smooth paste.
- cook the dal using pressure cooker. Cook on high flame for 5-6 whistles. keep it closed for 10-15 mins and open the cooker. Mash it well or you can just run it in a food processor or blender for a few seconds. Add ground paste, salt and ½ – 1 cup water to the mashed dal and let it boil. Remove from heat.
- Heat oil/ghee in another pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add small onion, curry leaves and red chilli. Fry till small onion becomes golden brown. Pour over cooked dal. Serve with rice and pappad, wait… don’t start eating… drizzle some ghee on the curry, now you are ready to eat.